Sunday, October 28, 2012

Lawyers and Anxiety, Part 3: The Sunday Night Blues



Photo courtesy of stockfreeimages.com
I remember when I was practicing law, Sunday nights were the hardest.  Thinking about the coming work week would bring on my anxiety with a vengeance.  It would start working its way through my neck muscles right around the time Mad Men started.  I’d often get headaches from it.  I would also feel particularly glum and hopeless on Sunday nights.  

I didn’t realize that the Sunday Night Blues is a recognized psychological condition, but apparently it is.  Here’s a nice article with tips on beating the symptoms.

I like some of the author’s suggestions (podcasts and bubble baths seem to work wonders for me).  But I think Andrew Weil hits the nail on the head by emphasizing that if you cannot overcome the sadness you feel on Sunday nights, you might need to reevaluate what you are doing with your career and find work that’s better suited to your values.  Wise words indeed. 

3 comments:

  1. I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.
    New Jersey Attorney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked in law for over 20 years as a legal nurse. Two years ago I left. I still struggle with being argumentative and overbearing. It seems that as a female in a large conservative male-dominated law firm (sorry guys, nothing personal) I had to develop those traits just to be heard. Now that I am back in healthcare where people actually care about other people, I have some seriously bad habits to unlearn. Thanks for having this blog. What is it about law school that turns smart nice people into aliens? Pam in Indiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think lawyers are trained to always be on the defensive and to anticipate the worst possible outcome in any situation, so naturally, we're not fun to be around! I recall when I was practicing, I was having lunch with a family member and her new husband. He had purchased a home prior to the marriage, and he mentioned that the house was solely his property. We were in a marital property state, so I told him that no, the primary marital residence was joint property. He argued with me and I told him to not get divorced and he wouldn't have to learn the hard way that I was right. Not exactly fun lunch conversation with the newlyweds. I still cringe when I think about it! Thanks for reading my blog. :)

      Delete