Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Death by Default: Chapter 5 - Hiding Out

Photo courtesy of jgolby, shutterstock.com

They buried Winnie on Tuesday.

I didn’t go to the funeral. It didn’t feel right. I hadn’t known her that well in law school, and under the circumstances I figured her family would want privacy when they laid her to rest. The papers said it was suicide like Emily Mara the week before, although they had yet to reveal a motive. Emily had been in debt, but so far the headlines were mum on Winnie’s finances at the time of her death. I sent Derek a sympathy card at his office after looking up his address on the state bar website, and now I found myself all out of ideas on how to respond to yet another suicide by one of my fellow graduates. It felt like I should be doing something, but I didn’t know what. (continue reading here)

No comments:

Post a Comment